Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering (August 2020 – present)
Courtesy Appointment, Electrical and Computer Engineering and Human Computer Interaction
Iowa State University
Awards and Honors
- Plant Science Institute Fellow, Iowa State University, Ames, 2022.
- Finalist, NSF NAMRC Bluesky Manufacturing Competition, “Physics-aware machine learning surrogates for real-time digital twins in additive manufacturing,” St. Louis, MO, 2021.
- Best Paper Award, “GPU-accelerated post-processing and animated volume rendering of isogeometric analysis results” CAD Conference, Barcelona, 2021.
- Invited Speaker, “Computational modeling for cardiac biomechanics,” Daghstuhl Seminars, Modeling and Simulation, 2019.
- Invited Speaker, Biofrontiers Institute, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2019.
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2018.
- Keynote Speaker, NDE Conference, Chennai, India, 2017.
- Warren Lecture, University of Minnesota, 2016.
- Reviewer’s Choice Best Poster Award, Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, 2015.
- Spotlight Paper, “GPU-Accelerated Minimum Distance and Clearance Queries,” June 2011 issue of IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics.
- Best Paper Award (second place), ACM Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2008.
- Best Poster Award, ACM Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2007.
- Berkeley Outstanding GSI Award, Precision Manufacturing (ME220), 2008.
- Recipient of the Berkeley Graduate Fellowship, 2005-2007 (Full tuition, fees, and research stipend).
- Student Fellow at the Berkeley Summer Institute for Preparing Future Faculty, 2009.
- Prof. GVN Rayudu Memorial Prize for the student with the Best Academic Record in Mechanical Engineering Dual Degree program, 2000–2005, IIT-Madras, India.
- Recipient of the National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) Scholarship, India, 1998.
- Senior Personnel, NSF, AI Institute for Resilient Agriculture (AIIRA). 09/01/2021 to 08/31/2026. $20,000,000.
- Co-PI, CNDE IUCRC, NDE Data Fusion Between Inconsistent Geometries. 10/01/2021 - 09/30/2022, $60,000.
- PI, NSF, CAREER: GPU-accelerated Framework for Integrated Modeling and Biomechanics Simulations of Cardiac Systems. 03/01/2018 - 02/28/2023, $516,000.
- PI, Navy SBIR Phase II, Development of a Shipboard Dimensional Analysis Tool. 09/17/2019 - 09/16/2022, $270,000.
- Co-PI, ARPA-E, DIFFERENTIATE - Context-Aware Learning for Inverse Design in Photovoltaics. 04/01/2020 - 05/31/2022. $2,200,000.
- Co-PI, NSF, LEAP-HI: AI-Optimized 3D Printing of Super-Soft Materials for Personalized Sensing. 08/01/2021 - 07/31/2026, $2,000,000.
- ISU PI, NIH, Precision Cardiac CT: Development of a Computational Platform for Optimizing Imaging. 03/15/2018 to 02/28/2021. $156,000.
- PI, NSF, CM: Machine-Learning Driven Decision Support in Design for Manufacturability. 09/01/2016 - 08/31/2021, $491,175.
- PI, NASA, Automatic Incorporation of Flaws into CAD and FEA Models based on Measured NDE Data. 09/28/2015 - 09/27/2018, $631,189.
- PI, CNDE IUCRC, 3D Geometric Modeling and CAD Algorithms for Nondestructive Testing. 10/01/2016 - 09/30/2019, $180,000.
- PI, Navy SBIR, Development of a Shipboard Dimensional Analysis Tool. 11/01/2017 - 03/15/2019, $36,000.
- Co-PI, ANSYS, Fast Topology Optimization and Shape Style Transfer Using Machine Learning, 07/02/2018 to 12/31/2019. $80,000.
- Senior Personnel, NSF, PFI:BIC- A Smart Service System for Traffic Incident Management Enabled by Large-data Innovations (TIMELI). 09/01/2016 to 08/31/2019. $1,000,000.
Post-Doctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego, August 2014
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, September 2010
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Major : Manufacturing
Minors : Computer Science, Design
Advisor : Prof. Sara McMains
Thesis : Parallel GPU Algorithms for Interactive CAD
B.Tech. and M.Tech., Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, August 2005
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Five Year Dual Degree Program, Ranked first in the department
Major : Product Design
Minor : Theoretical Computer Science
Advisor : Prof. Krishnan Balasubramaniam
Thesis : Modeling Ultrasonic Fields in Complex Geometries
- Visiting Scholar, NASA Langley Research Center (June 1 – June 31, 2018).
- Intern, SolidWorks Corporation, Concord, MA (June 11 – August 17, 2007; June 5 – August 20, 2008).
- Short Term Scholar, Michigan State University (May 15 – July 15, 2004).
- Intern, GE John F. Welch Technology Center (JFWTC), Bangalore, India (May 15 – July 15, 2003).
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM)
- Cardiovascular Modeling
- Implantable Devices
- Patient-specific Modeling
- Parallel and GPU Computing
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Environmentally Conscious Design
- Non-Destructive Testing and Applications
- Anushrut Jignasu, Ph.D., Aug 2021-, “Advanced additive manufacturing.”
- Jaydeep Rade, Ph.D., (co-supervised) May 2021-, “Deep learning for protein structures.”
- Dhruv Gamdha, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2020-, “Computational material science.”
- Sudeep Menon, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2020-, “HPC tools for accelerating simulations.”
- Mehdi Saraeian, Ph.D., Jan 2019-, “Four-chamber cardiac modeling.”
- Saurabh Kumar, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2018-, “HPC tools for accelerating finite element analysis.”
- Remy Braun, B.S., Aug 2018-, “Cardiac segmentation from CT images.”
- Harshil Shah, Ph.D., Aug 2018-Aug 2021, “GPU-accelerated CAD tools.”
- Arian Jafari, Ph.D., Aug 2015-Dec 2020, “Four-chamber cardiac modeling.”
- Anjana Deva Prasad, M.S., Jan 2020-Dec 2021, “Geometric deep learning.”
- Joel Khristy, M.S., (co-supervised) Jan 2020-May 2021, “Immersogeometric analysis over point cloud represtations of CAD models.”
- Jaydeep Rade, M.S., (co-supervised) Jan 2019-May 2021, “Deep learning based topology optimization.”
- Sambit Ghadai, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2016-Aug 2020, “VR tools for design and manufacturing.”
- Aditya Balu, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2016-May 2020, “Machine learning for design and manufacturing.”
- Onur Bingol, Ph.D., Aug 2015-Aug 2019, “Automatic incorporation of NDE data into CAD.”
- Joshua Mineroff, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2016-Aug 2018, “Optimization framework for patient-specific cardiac modeling.”
- Chenglong Wang, Ph.D., (co-supervised) Aug 2014-Aug 2017, “Immersogeometric Analysis of Complex CAD Objects.”
- Xin Huang, M.S., Jan 2015-Dec 2018, “Volume rendering of CT and MR data.”
- Gavin Young, M.S., Aug 2015-May 2017, “Voxelization of CAD models.”
- Kundan Kumar, M.S., (co-supervised) Aug 2014-May 2016, “Visualizing traffic and weather data.”
- Anushrut Jignasu, B.S., Aug 2017-May 2020, “Direct 3D printing from voxelized models.”
- Edward Pszczolkowski, B.S., Jan 2015-Dec 2018, “Mesh generation for four-chamber human cardiac models.”
- Kedell Guevara, B.S., Sept 2019-May 2020, “Deep Learning for CAD geometries.”
- Steven De Alwis, M.S., Aug 2017-Aug 2018, “CAD tools for NDE modeling.”
- Ruben Larue, June 2012, “Automatic patient-specific parameter estimation of the CircAdapt model.”
- Maira Seidl, July 2013, “Determining the baseline electrical activity of the heart using vector-cardiograms.”
- Jasper Jansen, Nov 2013, “Estimating the cardiac unloaded geometry using cubic Hermite meshes with extraordinary nodes.”
- Computer-Aided Design
- Engineering Graphics
- Parallel and High Performance Computing
- Precision Manufacturing
- New Product Development
- Instructor, Solid Modeling and GPU Computing, new experimental graduate course, Iowa State University (Spring 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2020)
- Instructor, Computer-Aided Design, Iowa State University (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Spring 2020)
- Instructor, Engineering Graphics and Introductory Design, Iowa State University (Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Spring 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2019, Spring 2020)
- Instructor for the NBCR Summer Institute, 2011 and 2012
- Guest lectures in the “Cardiac Mechanics Freshman Seminar,” UC San Diego, Fall 2011-2013.
- Graduate Student Instructor for the graduate course “Precision Manufacturing,” UC Berkeley, Fall 2008.
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2022.
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2021.
- Program Committee and Poster Chair, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2020.
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2019.
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2018
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2017.
- Program Committee, Symposium on Solid and Physical Modeling, 2016.
Program Committee, SIAM/ACM Joint Conference on Geometric and Physical Modeling, 2015.
Program Committee, SIAM/ACM Joint Conference on Geometric and Physical Modeling, 2013.
Journal Reviewer, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, PLoS Computational Biology, Journal of Computer-Aided Design, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering.
- Conference Reviewer, Eurographics, 2013, SIAM/ACM Joint Conference on Geometric and Physical Modeling, 2009, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences (2006 – 2008).
- Computational Modeling for Cardiac Biomechanics, Invited Speaker, Dagstuhl Seminars, December 19, 2019.
- Immersogeometric Fluid-Flow Analysis using B-Rep CAD Models, Boulder Fluid-Thermal Seminar, Boulder, CO, October 7, 2019.
- Computational Modeling for Patient-Specific Cardiac Biomechanics, Invited Speaker, BioFrontiers Institute, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, October 8, 2019.
- Geometric Algorithms for Cardiac Modeling, MoSAIC Seminar, Iowa State University, June 6, 2019.
- Generation and Rendering of Multi-level Voxel Representation of Solid Models Using the GPU, Invited Speaker, Graphics Interface, May 31, 2019.
- Machine Learning Framework for Cyber-Enabled Manufacturing, Invited Speaker, ISU Business Analytics Symposium, April 2, 2019.
- Geometric Algorithms for Integrated Design and Analysis, ECpE Seminar, Iowa State University, Semptember 17, 2018.
- Voxelization for NDE Applications, NASA, NASA Langley Research Center, June 13, 2018.
- Keynote, Integrated CAD and Structural Analysis of Composites with Defects, NDE Conference, Chennai India, December 15, 2017.
- Keynote, Coupled Left Ventricular Biomechanics and Flow Simulations with Immersed FSI Valves, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, June 7, 2017.
- GPU-Accelerated Deep Learning Framework for Cyber-Enabled Manufacturing, GPU Technology Conference, San Jose, May 9, 2017.
- Immersogeometric Fluid-Flow Analysis Using B-Rep CAD Models with Analytic Surfaces, USACM Conference on Isogeometric Analysis and Meshfree Methods, October 12, 2016.
- Patient-Specific Computational Models Show Negative Myocardial Work is a Sensitive Indicator of CRT Response, IEEE EMBC, Orlando, August 18, 2016.
- Automatic Incorporation of Flaws into CAD and FE Models based on Measured NDE Data, University of California, San Diego, July 6, 2016.
- GPUs in Design and Analysis, SPIRE REU Luncheon Lecture Series, Iowa State University, June 23, 2016.
- Cardiac Isogeometric Simulations Using Cubic Hermite Meshes with Extraordinary Nodes, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, June 15, 2016.
- Geometric Algorithms for Integrated Design and Analysis, Warren Lecture Series, University of Minnesota, April 15, 2016.
- Work Heterogeneity Predicts Patient Response in Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy, US National Congress on Computational Mechanics, July 29, 2015.
- Human Fetal Growth Model of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, Salt Lake City, March 14, 2015.
- GPU Accelerated Integrated Design and Analysis, VRAC Deere Day, Ames, October 21, 2014.
- Left Ventricular Diastolic and Systolic Material Property Estimation from Image Data, Statistical Atlas and Computational Modeling of the Heart (STACOM) workshop, Boston, September 18, 2014.
- Patient-Specific Biomechanics Models of the Heart, IEEE EMBC Conference, September 31, 2012.
- Parallel GPU Algorithms for Interactive CAD, IIT Madras, July 8, 2010.
- Interactive Distance Queries Using the GPU, Mori Seiki DTL Corporation, Davis, April 30, 2010.
- Teraflop Parallel Computing on a Budget: Applications of GPU Computing in Mechanical Engineering, ASME Design Engineering and Technical Conferences Workshop, August 30, 2009.
- Primitives for GPU-Accelerated Mechanical CAD, ParLAB, UC Berkeley, July 13, 2009.
- Using GPUs for Design and Manufacturing, SolidWorks Corporation, March 6, 2007.
- Olivier Zegdoun, Bruce Holway, Amit Mandloi, Adarsh Krishnamurthy, “Reducing the Size of a Model using Visibility Factors,” Dassault Systemes SolidWorks Corporation, US Patent number 8,581,902.
- Andrew McCulloch, Adarsh Krishnamurthy, Christopher Villongco, David Krummen, Sanjiv Narayan, Jeffrey Omens, Roy Kerckhoffs, “Compositions, Devices and Methods for Diagnosing Heart Failure and for Patient-Specific Modeling to Predict Outcomes of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy,” University of California, San Diego, US Patent application number PCT/US2014/065841.